Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sound Bites: Sushi Park Edition

Because there's not always time for a full meal…

1. The recipe I'm dying to make - Bucatini with Butter-Roasted Tomato Sauce via Bon Appétit- While quinoa is usually my jam when I'm cooking for myself at home (as opposed to, you know, at a library), pasta is what I crave when all the signals are red, I can't find a parking spot and Bruno Mars is on every radio station. This dish will clearly solve all my life's problems, and after I eat it, I'll never have to hear "Locked Out of Heaven" ever ever again.

2. What I've been drinking - 2011 Morelli Sangiovese - I picked up a bottle of this way-too-easy-to-drink red red wine at the recommendation of Whitney of Brunellos Have More Fun on one of those Friday nights when I really needed a way-too-easy-to-drink red red wine. (See: Bruno Mars, life problems) I was planning to tell you how well-balanced it is even before reading the description on domaineLA's website that articulates the same, so I'm feeling preeeetty proud of myself. I'm basically a master sommelier now. Holla.

3. Where I've been eating - Sushi Park - True story. Three point five years ago I went on a first date with a rather dishy English bloke who never called me again even though I was like a total charmer in my merino wool sweater and denim skirt combo, and offered to go halvsies on the bill. I was a little sad face because he was a little hot face, but he did leave me the best gift a guy can give a girl who is me: the name of his favorite restaurant in LA. While it took me three years to make it to the second-floor-of-a-strip-mall sushi hideaway, it's quickly entered into my top five dining destinations in Los Angeles. I love that it feels like a discovery, even if it wasn't my own, and love that each bite of the obscenely fresh fish elicits the kind of eyes-rolling-back-in-head reaction that is necessary for a girl who is dating her food. Uni > Spooning. Sushi Park, 8539 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069, (310) 652-0523

4. What I've been watching - her - I haven't been quite able to figure out why this movie from Spike Jonze left such a strong impression on me. It's not the typical sort of film I gravitate toward (aka ones that tie up into neat little happy pink bows), but it both charmed and depressed me in a way that makes me wonder how and why that happened. So now I want everyone to go see it so we can have a long discussion about it at a coffee shop in Silver Lake while wearing our black skinny jeans.

5. My new edible obsession - Fage Vanilla Fruyo - This is basically dessert disguised as yogurt. So that's nice. Plus there are actual flecks of vanilla bean in there, which is also nice. I'd totally sit around with my girl friends talking about it for like an hour. "Giiiiiiiirl, this yogurt is like running at the beach in February good." True story, by the way. Sorry, Chicago friends.


Gastronomer said...

Love these snippets!

Uni > Spooning -- Ha!

And I need to see Her. Then we need to discuss.

ricky albert danganan said...

Hi there,

Your blog page is quite impressive and it’s just too perfect for our project. I don’t know how to catch your attention but hopefully you could spare me a minute to read this message

It is noticeable that there is a great number of tasty recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you to have a look at the “Top Food Blog” section on our recently launched site, the . Our site is a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from all major worldwide blogs and websites in one place.

We would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on our site. All you just have to do is add the URL of your blog in this link:

Our project is the second biggest worldwide when it comes to recipe search, and it’s already live in 37 countries, including countries in Europe, Asia, Middle-East, Australia, South America and South Africa. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive at least 20,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.

This is something you can do to make your blog more visible and be exposed to a lot of people in United States, Canada and around the world; this can help your blog page to get more visitors and increase traffic.

You help us, we help you.

Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at

You can also find us on:
Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest