Sunday, April 6, 2014

Eleven Madison Park Granola: THE Granola


I had very grand ambitions for this granola. All sorts of crazy ideas about how I was going to make my own apple chips like I was Mrs. Johnny Appleseed instead of, well, me, and then be all nonchalant about it.

Oh yeah, I just bought some organic pink lady apples from the farmer's market, sliced them into paper thin rings with a mandolin and then dehydrated them in my oven for nearly three hours. No big deal.


It - the dehydrating/Johnny Appleseeding - seemed what one ought to do when replicating Eleven Madison Park's granola. I mean this is THE granola that they give you at the end of your meal to take home with you as a reminder of how you will never live that lavishly ever ever again. And it's gooooood granola. Maybe even the best granola I've had outside of the granola that I'll make next and then re-declare as my favorite, because, you know, recency effect.

Even so, it's now been a good six and a half months since I first encountered THE granola, and a good two and a half months since I gave up on being Mrs. Johnny A. to buy dried apples from the bulk bins at Whole Foods so I could actually make THE granola. That means four jars have been consumed in total, and I still find myself irresponsibly spooning it over my morning Greek yogurt + cold banana mash-up that is entirely an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast.

What makes this granola THE granola that one wants to irresponsible spoon over desserty breakfasty sorts of things, is the juxtapositions that lie within. The salty vs. sweet. The chewy vs. crunchy. The dried apple ring chip bits that interrupt like a hiccup in the middle of a bite. A good sort of hiccup. The kind you wouldn't want someone to scare out of you unless that someone is Johnny Appleseed bearing more dried apple rings.

Obviously.

The point is… make this granola now. Enjoy it lavishly because it's from a lavish sort of place. And because in two months time I'll have a new THE granola to end all granolas.

With dehydrated strawberries that take me three days to make.


Eleven Madison Park Granola
Adapted from Wandercrush via Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook

Notes: Because I prefer my granola on the less overtly sweet side, I amped up the quantity of oats/nuts/seeds in relation to the amount of sugar. In other words, I used a heavy hand with my measuring cups, and also added sunflower seeds because I'm fairly certain the original I received from EMP contained them. Fairly. Certain. Finally, I more than doubled the amount of dried currants/raisins because, well, more is betterer, yo.

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raw sliced almonds
1/2 cup raw pepitas
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup dried apple slices, cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup dried currants
1/3 cup golden raisins

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, dried apples, and salt. Stir together until ingredients are well-integrated.

In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, maple syrup and olive oil. Heat gently, stirring constantly until the sugar has just dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour over the oat mixture. Stir together until everything is well-coated.

Spread the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. I like to cram mine together a bit to ensure I get some good clumps in there. Bake for 20 minutes, stir once, and then return to the oven for 10-20 additional minutes until pleasantly brown.

Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack. Transfer to an airtight container.



1 comment:

Gastronomer said...

I AM a granola girl. And I AM going to make this!!